Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Tripwire - a New High from Lee Child

I came across Lee Child by chance. Having developed the convenient habit of travel reading, I make it a point to carry a book or two on trips. For that particular journey I had a book left by someone: Make Me and it made me reach for another Lee - Bad Luck and Trouble. The trouble is Jack Reachers are addictive if you're into that sort of thing - good fight scenes, in particular.  

Tripwire offers giant doses of romance and a truly evil villain. 



The story begins with Reacher digging swimming pools in a part of the US that the author had visited during a vacation in the nineties. Someone is looking for Reacher. And that person is found dead. Two goons have also been inquiring about him. Are they killers?

Our hulk, Reacher, sets off to find out the who, what, why, when and where of it all. Which leads him to a very attractive young lady lawyer who happens to be the daughter of Gerber, an officer Reacher respects. Together the couple traverse many hair raising adventures to solve the mystery. In the meanwhile, we get to enjoy the villain and his dastardly accomplices in action.

The romance might be a bit icky to some as there's the age thing. Jodie was a teenager when they first met. The fact that Gerber was a father figure to Reacher and that Reacher met Jodie when she was a young girl and had the hots for her bring in a touch of the forbidden. 

The grotesque villain also comes in the way of full enjoyment - he's almost like Captain Hook! 

Nevertheless, Lee Child is always a satisfying read. He brings geography and technical things alive and we also get some historical perspectives. In this case, it's the ill-fated Vietnam war. What happened to prisoners? How were the injured cared for? In all the confusion of those times, all kinds of mess ups and cover ups became possible.

Even though Tripwire will not be among my top Reacher books, I'm busy devouring two more. And I leave you with a wonderful chance to eavesdrop on two great contemporary writers: 



Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

6 comments:

adite said...

Thanks for that great video... enjoyed the conversation between two great writers!

Gita Madhu said...

Thanks for reading. And watching. Yes, two great writers of our times. I admit I'm too scared to read much King but Child has such style - I really enjoy the Reacher novels.

adite said...

Hehe. I don't read Stephen King for the same reason. But I loved Lee Child's Killing Floor and I'm looking forward to reading the recent releases from Lee Child.

Gita Madhu said...

Killing Floor rocks! But I hear that the latest book was disappointing. So glad to meet another fan. Are you on Goodreads or somewhere where one can look at your favourite books?

adite said...

Yes, I'm on Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7083664.Adite_Banerjie

adite said...

Yes I'm on Goodreads -- Adite Banerjie